Insights Into How Our Legal System Works

Insights Into How Our Legal System Works

Steps To Take When A Child Custody Agreement Is Being Violated

by Yolanda Lane

Custody orders are put in place to protect the children and ensure that both parents understand exactly what is expected. However, there are situations where one parent may violate the custody order, which can cause issues for the kids and create major issues.

If your ex is not following the custody order that was approved by the court, it is in your best interest to take action as quickly as possible in order to remedy the situation. Take the following steps when your ex is not abiding by your custody order:

Contact a Child Custody Lawyer

The best thing that you can do when your ex is not following a child custody order is to contact a child custody lawyer. An experienced child custody lawyer will be able to review the custody order that is in place, ascertain that your ex is breaking the child custody order, and create a plan of action.

In most cases, a child custody lawyer will draft a letter to the parent who is not following the custody order. This type of letter will typically serve as notice and outline the repercussions. Best case scenario, your ex will stop violating the child custody order after being contacted by a lawyer.

Document Everything

When your ex is blatantly violating the custody order that was approved by the court, don't waste your time fighting or arguing with him or her. Instead, make sure that you document every time he or she does something that does not follow the custody order.

It is also best to avoid communicating with your ex via phone. It is much better to stay in contact via text messages or email to ensure that you have everything in writing. Documenting each instance of violating the custody order can be very strong evidence if you need to elevate the issue in order to get it fixed.

File a Motion in Court

If your ex's behavior regarding your child custody order does not change after being contacted by your lawyer, it may be necessary to return to court. In this type of situation, your lawyer can file a motion against your ex for contempt of court.

When child custody orders are violated, the involved parties will need to appear before a judge to resolve the issue. Sometimes, a judge will choose to change the custody order, and the parent in violation may face legal issues. 

For more information, contact a child custody lawyer service such as Cragun Law Firm.


About Me

Insights Into How Our Legal System Works

Hello, I'm Christina Miller. Have you ever been fascinated with why the law works the way it does? Ever since I was in junior high, I had an intense interest in anything related to our legal system, whether it be a crime drama on television, a judge show or a legal case covered on the news. I followed it all. As time progressed, I began learning about how the actual legal system worked and not just the fictionalized version of our legal system. This has lead me to start writing my own blog posts about law that I hope will help others.